Wednesday, February 15, 2012

GoYaYa's Crepes




Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The epic battle of breakfast carbs is always around. Do you go with an English muffin or a biscuit? Or, more importantly... are you on the pancake team or the waffle team? I'll take a waffle over a pancake any day. I could rant about it for hours but this post is all about the pancake's cousin, the crepe. You could just say a crepe is a super thin pancake, it's really nothing special without it being topped/wrapped/stuffed with something. It does take a good bit of skill to create one though, that's probably why they're considered a novelty rather than just an anorexic flapjack.


GoYaYa's Crepes is located in the Main Street Market, famously known for hosting the area for the farmers market on Saturdays. When I walked in, it was basically a ghost town. *shrug* I knew I'd be dining alone for this one anyways.



The reason I took the short trip downtown to visit GoYaYa's Crepes was to experience their Waffle Wednesday. Sadly, they don't start serving chicken and waffles until lunch time, so I was out of luck. I was pretty bummed about not landing any waffles so I looked to their savory menu. I've had their Strawberry Nutella crepe before and it's amazing. But, I never tried anything outside of fruit on a crepe so I had to try something new. I went with their Cuban. It comes with shredded pork, sliced ham, dill pickles, swiss cheese and a chipotle mustard.




I opened my to go box and pleasantly found a monstrous crepe garnished with scallions and parsley sitting in front of me. I start getting into it and was very pleased with the amount of shredded pork that was in it. I'm not familiar with Cuban cuisine but I realized that Cuban sandwiches and wraps tend to come with pickles. I put them aside because the dill flavor was a little overpowering. The pork was delicious, it played the main role in this crepe for sure. There were pieces of crispy bits in there along with large chunks of meat. It didn't have much seasoning on there so it was nice to come with the chipotle mustard. I figured it was going to be spicier, it flirted along the lines of plain mustard too much for me. It was a good thing they had a bottle of Sriracha Sauce on the bar. The ham hardly played the role of a supporting cast, the flavor of it was completely masked by the pork and mustard. It probably could have done without it and been just as enjoyable.


For my first experience with a savory crepe, it was very satisfying. I'll definitely be back with a mission to try their waffles. The overall cost was around 9 dollars with a bottle of water. I also couldn't finish this thing in one sitting.

GoYaYa's Crepes - 501 Main Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
http://www.goyayas.com/index.html
GOyaya's Crepes (Main St Market) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment