Sunday, January 8, 2012

Easy Meal


Easton, Pennsylvania
Well, I took the usual trip back to my parent's house for the holidays. Even though my mom and dad are ridiculously talented in the kitchen, they always want me to whip up something while I'm there. So, this is what I came up with. Some good ole fried fish, red beans and rice and a corn muffin. I had to substitute out a few main ingredients but it turned out pretty well anyways. The main fish we're accustomed to fry in Louisiana, is of course catfish. Being in the Northeast, catfish is pretty hard to come by so I switched it with Tilapia instead. In my opinion, both are pretty flavorless, as long as it's white and flaky I guess you have a pretty good shot at it to turn out OK. The sauce laying on top of it is supposed to be a Tasso cream sauce.

Tasso (TAH-so), is a well spiced and smoked ham that you also find in Louisiana and can definitely not find in the Northeast -.- so I just subbed Andouille for it.

The red beans and rice is pretty standard. Rule of Thumb: Make sure you soak the beans AT LEAST 24 hours so they're not hard as bricks when you serve it. The dad of a friend of mine also said it can take some the farts out of your beans by doing so along with changing the water before cooking. Is this true? Haha, I don't have the slightest clue but I'll take his word for it.

If you ever find yourself in the Land of the Lost and in a dire need of some Cajun cuisine, just make it yourself. These two dishes are as easy as it gets, and you'll definitely turn a lot of heads when you serve it. Why? Because it tastes good, but then again what Cajun/Creole food doesn't. Although you might not be able to find the main ingredients wherever you may be, adding cayenne, paprika and whatever chili powder you have laying around to the bland protein can drastically change your recipes for the better. It also helps to carry your favorite hot sauce around. I generally use Tabasco on my red beans and either Louisiana or Crystal on meats, if it needs any. But, that's just me :).

Also, if you're ever making cornbread or corn muffins, dice some jalapenos and throw it in the batter. make sure you leave the seeds out unless you love the heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment