Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Frostop




Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Frostop has been around Baton Rouge since the 50's, always sitting on the corner of Government Street and St. Ferdinand Street. The huge Frostop root beer float sign will be forever seared into everyone's mind when entering downtown Baton Rouge. Even though it looks run down, it's not closed. It is very much so, still open. You take a step in and it's a like a blast from the past. It has that old school diner feel that you can't get a hold of in many places today.

So many people have been here before in their childhood, probably to get their first proper floats and shakes with their parents. These days, it seems like people hardly find the time to take a trip downtown to relive one of their lost memories of downing one of their frosty treats. A friend of mind mentioned Frostop to me this weekend about how wonderful it is, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Today, I paid a little visit.

I know for a fact that their shrimp po-boys are delicious, but I've been eating so many lately that I had to make a change of plan. I ordered their Whole-Lot-A-Burger with cheese, an order of fries, and of course, a root beer float. I really don't even like root beer on its own, but I love it with some ice cream in it. They don't get any better than Frostop's either.




So the burger comes dressed with tomato, onion, pickles, lettuce, mayo, mustard, all on a toasted sesame bun. What I liked about how they do their burgers with cheese is that they put it under their patty, it makes sense to help it melt better. Which it did. You bite into it and starts to run with ooey goodness. It's nothing spectacular, but it's definitely not bad. You can't really complain about it, and their fries are good too. If you come for a meal, I recommend getting one of their po-boys with something fried, they're delicious. I have yet to
try one of their beef po-boys so I have no idea how good they are.


I saved the best for last. Their root beer floats. It's something about their frozen mugs that make the experience about drinking/eating a float, amazing. You definitely need a straw and a long spoon to tackle one of these but the extra effort is worth it.


I ended up spending $9.24 for everything, and it was worth every penny. Eating a burger and fries with a root beer float definitely makes you feel like a kid again. I think it's something everyone should do from time to time.

Frostop - 402 Government Street, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 
http://frostop.us/
Frostop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment