Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Juan's Flying Burrito



New Orleans, Louisiana
My legs are hurting, I'm dehydrated, and above everything else, I am hungrier than ever. These were my thoughts right after running the Crescent City Classic. After complaining through traffic for about an hour we finally make it out of City Park all the way uptown to my friend's house. To cure our hunger pains we decided to make the short trip down S. Carrollton Avenue to Juan's Flying Burrito (the mid city location). My first thought about eating Mexican food after a grueling run didn't seem very appealing at first, but I was so hungry that I didn't really care.

It was a gorgeous day, so we decided to sit outside. Well, we started off running through their chips, queso, and salsa like crazy before our entrees arrived. Thankfully, we were so hungry that it didn't hold us back from finishing the rest of our meal. One of my friends decided to tackle a mountain of nachos on his own. He ordered the Kamehameha Nachos which has a bed of chips topped with applewood smoked bacon, pulled pork, grilled mango, pineapple salsa, chipotle sour cream, cilantro, jalapenos, and of course, their white queso. He added guacamole onto it as well just for fun.


This behemoth of a plate gets dropped off at our table and we all decided to grab a few bites. The pulled pork was smoky and tender, and the applewood smoked bacon on top gave it the right amount of saltiness that I like. I mean, who doesn't like bacon? The jalapenos were pretty spicy, but not over the top. But I have to say, the kicker out of these nachos has got to go to the fruit. I would have never thought of putting grilled mangoes or pineapple on my nachos. It complimented the pork so well with its sweetness that I wanted some on every bite. I'll be sure to try to add them on my nachos anywhere I go from now on if the option is available.

What I decided to order were the Blackened Red Fish Tacos. In the three tacos, you get the blackened Red Fish, a creamy cilantro slaw, and salsa fresca (pico de gallo) on grilled flour tortillas. It comes with a side of tartar sauce on the side as well. I took my first bite and it was a match made in heaven. When I heard that we were going to eat Mexican food, I thought about consuming something really heavy that would eventually feel like a brick were in my stomach. These tacos did the exact opposite.

The blackened Red Fish was cooked really well. It had a nice crust on the outside, but very juicy and moist center. The creamy cilantro slaw set it beyond any coleslaw that I've ever had on a fish taco. Generally, you'll just find plain shredded cabbage when ordering them. The slaw that came on these tacos was very light, even though it was creamy. And the touch of cilantro added great flavor to pair the fish. On top of the great taste, it added a crunchy texture component that made you know that it was fresh. Light, airy and fresh, it really doesn't get any better than that.


I will go ahead and say that these fish tacos are hands down, the best I have ever eaten.

The only sad part about my meal was that it had to end. With my hunger level being so high, and the deliciousness of everything that we ordered, made me consume everything so fast that I didn't really sit back enough to enjoy every aspect. I will be back for sure, and hungry for more.

Juan's Flying Burrito - 4724 South Carrollton Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana
                                   2018 Magazine Street, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://juansflyingburrito.com/
Juan's Flying Burrito on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment