Monday, April 9, 2012

Superior Seafood



New Orleans, Louisiana
Superior Seafood has been the talk of the town in New Orleans since they've opened in January. They got prepared in enough time for the Mardi Gras and Lent season and have hit the ground running ever since. With the boom of the film industry in New Orleans, you can spot celebrities here on any given night! I heard the hype of Superior Seafood before it even opened for the general public. And this weekend was my time to experience it, firsthand.

I drove into New Orleans on Friday afternoon in preparation for the Crescent City Classic, and just in time for their happy hour. This entails 2 for 1 frozen mojitos, 1/2 off house win carafes and $2 off their draft beer. I had no intentions of consuming any alcohol the day before a race, but a dear friend of mind that works there suggested that I get their frozen pomegranate mojito. It's made with Castillo rum, fresh mint, fresh lime juice and pomegranate juice. It was very refreshing, and not too sweet or sour.

Now, the problem I ran into was that I had the belief that I was going to return to Superior Seafood after the race the following day (which never happened). So, I held back on what I ordered. I actually had no seafood in my meal on this day. But, my mission now was to see if they are capable of making great food outside of seafood.

I went with their Rich Boy Po-Boy. It consists of braised filet tips in a veal demi glace sauce set on French bread with shredded lettuce, tomato, pickles, mayonnaise and mustard, along with a side of fries.

A demi glace is a rich brown sauce used in French cuisine, and in this case, it was made from veal stock.


Well, here it is. The massive po-boy that I had to consume. The aroma from the meat and veal demi glace sauce had my friends salivating to see what it tasted like. Of course, me being the nice person I am, shared with everyone that wanted to try it. The filet tips were very tender and had a peppery taste to it that made me like it even more than what I hoped. As for the actual po-boy. It met every expectation that I was planning to get. The bread was nice and soft, perfect to soak in the demi glace enough to not make it messy. I think it was dressed perfectly as well. The mustard was actually amazing, it made the po-boy for the better, almost creating a horseradish taste. The clever name for the po-boy certainly made it fitting in more ways than one. Filet tips are hardly ever found in po-boys mainly for the cost and it was actually very rich in taste. I probably wouldn't have been able to finish had I not shared.


The fries were also very good. The problem with having fresh cut french fries is that they're susceptible to get soggy and moist from holding in the grease. These stayed nice and crunchy by the time I finished everything and were tossed in some large grained sea salt.


If it's a nice day out, ask to be seated outside. The scenery on looking the St. Charles and Napoleon Avenues make it entertaining in itself (you never know what you'll see in New Orleans), and it's always good to get some fresh air. The wait staff is very friendly and the food... excellent. If this doesn't tickle your fancy, I have no idea what will.

I definitely have unfinished business here.



Superior Seafood - 4338 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana
http://www.superiorseafoodnola.com/
Superior Seafood & Oyster Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment